Jungle Safari – Koshi Tappu Wildlife – 4 Days
Located in Saptari and Sunsari districts in eastern Nepal, the Koshi Tappu Safari covers the vast expanse Koshi River with its blue waters and lush jungle areas on both sides. It’s considered as the major attraction of the safari. The forest is the homeland of wild buffaloes, hog deer, wild boar, spotted deer, blue bell and jackals.
The vegetation of this area is mainly tall khar-pater grassland with a few patches of Khair-sissoo scrub forest and deciduous mixed river line jungle. You can explore the forest of Koshi Tappu safari riding on elephant back. Here you will see the hattisar (elephant stable) where elephant breed regularly and which is one of few such facilities in Asia. During the Koshi Tappu Safari at dusk and dawn time you will see many varieties of birds and animals sitting along the river. The best place to watch the bird species is the Barrage, downstream of the river.
Day 1: Fight to Biratnagar from Kathmandu
- 1 hour flight from Kathmandu to Biratnagar Airport, then from the airport 1 hour drive to Koshi Tappu Wildlife Reserve Guest reception.
- Welcome briefing Lunch will be served at around 1 p.m.
- Bird Watching/Elephant ride – safari Slide show on the natural history of the reserve Dinner.
Day 2: Full day excursion
- Wake-up call
- Tea / coffee
- Jungle excursion – by ox-driven cart or on foot
- Jungle drive for game viewing
- Evening – cultural dance program of the local Jhagad tribes Dinner
Day 3: Full Day Boating, excursion
- Wake-up call
- Whole day – Boat & vehicle ride – excursion of Koshi River with packed lunch. We may see the wild buffaloes along the sand banks and the rare gangetic dolphins in the water.
- Evening – Wildlife discussion.
- Dinner – barbeque.
Day 2: Departure to Kathmandu
- Morning – village walk/bird-watching around the camp
- Departure from the Lodge
● Transport (from Kathmandu or Biratnagar)
● Elephant back safaris
● Nature walks
● Village tours
● Bird-watching excursions
● All meals
● Other activities (cultural dance display, canoe ride, etc)
● National Park entry fees
Bring insect repellant, sunscreen and your swimming costume. A pair of binoculars is also a good idea.
● Visa costs
● Insurance (obligatory on all trips)
● Other meals in Kathmandu or Biratnagar
● Spending of a personal nature such as laundry, drinks, and souvenirs
● Crew tips
● International Flights & Departure tax.