Upper Mustang Trekking – 16 Days
Mustang is the former kingdom of Lo. located in the north-central region of Nepal and bordering with TIbet in the north. Upper Mustang is also known as “The Forbidden City”. It has opened for the foreigners only since 1992. However, the inflow of tourist is still strictly regulated. The region is dry and mostly isolated with colorful rock formations often containing thousands of cave and inhabitants mainly comprising of Tibetan, Gurung and Thakali. People and the officials in the region are very careful and conservative about their culture, tradition and arts.
The average tourists stepping in the Kingdom is around 800 trekkers each year which is fairly low. Hence, many parts of the region are still unexplored. It only became an independent kingdom in 1380. The last monarchy was ceased in 2008 by Nepalese Government.
Upper Mustang trek starts from the Pokhara. Trekking uphill through the Annapurna Conservation area will get you to Upper Mustang. Flying to Jomsom can be another option, which will take you to the entry of Mustang –Kagbeni (2914m). We start our trek from the Holy river of KaliGandaki and follow the upstream to Lo-Mangthang, the capital of Mustang. During trek you can have opportunities for exploring thousand years old monasteries, caves, arts and architecture of the local tribes and scenic beauty of the region. The trek to Lo-Manthang will pass through the barren and desolate landscape of Mustang, along with a steep rocky trail up and down hill providing panoramic views of Nilgiri, Annapurna, Dhaulagiri and several other majestic peaks.
Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu – Transfer to Hotel
Upon your arrival in Kathmandu, MSM Tours and Treks representative will officially greet and meet you at Airport & transfer you to Hotel. Rest at the hotel and briefing about the trip. Overnight in Kathmandu (1,000m/3,280ft).
DAY 02: Kathmandu to Pokhara [823m/2,700ft]: 6 hrs drive
DAY 03: Fly to Jomsom & trek to Kagbeni [2,858m/9,375ft]: 3-4 hrs
DAY 04: Kagbeni to chele [3050m/10,004ft]: 5-6 hrs
DAY 05: Chele to Syanbochen [3475m/11,398ft]: 6-7 hrs
DAY 06: Syanbochen to Ghaymi [3520m/11,546ft]: 5-6 hrs
DAY 07: Ghaymi to Charang [3500m/11,480ft]: 4-5 hrs
DAY 08: Charang to Lo-Mangthang (3700m/12,136ft): 5-6 hrs
DAY 09: Explore Lo-Mangthang
DAY 10: Lo-Mangthang to Drakmar [3810 m/12,500ft]: 6-7 hrs
DAY 11: Dhakmar to Ghiling [3806m/12,484ft]: 5-6 hrs
DAY 12: Ghiling to Chhuksang [3050m/10,004ft]: 5-6 hrs
DAY 13: Chhuksang to Jomsom [2700/8,856ft]: 6-7 hrs
DAY 14: Fly back to Pokhara
DAY 15: Drive from Pokhara to Kathmandu
Day 16: Departure
MSM Tour and Treks representative will drop you to the International Airport (TIA) to assist you for your final departure to your home.
- Airport pick up & Transfer to hotel
- Hotel accommodation in Kathmandu on BB basis
- Government license holder Trekking Guide.
- All accommodation and three times meals during the trek.
- All necessary paper work and permits (National park permit, TIMS )
- Annapurna Conservation area fee
- Permit to Upper Mustang
- Overland transportation bus, car and flights as per your preference
- Trekking guide accommodation, fare, meal, equipments and salary & Insurance
- Government Tax and office service charge.
- Airport drop
- Nepal Visa fee
- International airfare to and from Kathmandu
- Extra night accommodation in Kathmandu
- Lunch & Dinner during Kathmandu stay
- Personal expenses (phone calls, laundry, bar bills, battery recharge, extra porters, bottle or boiled water, Soft drinks such as cola, , shower & any Purely personal nature expenses etc)
- Travel and rescue insurance
- Porters facility
- Tips for guides and porters
- Emergency rescue evacuation if needed